Your smile is a powerful expression. It displays natural joy – it communicates without words – it leaves an immediate impression on those you meet. For all these reasons, don’t you want your smile to look its very best? Whether you want to look fabulous for a special occasion or spruce up your looks for job interviews there are two techniques for accomplishing your goals: In-Office Whitening and At-Home Teeth Whitening available from Dr. Kenneth Mogell and his team.
Keeping Your New Smile Bright
Nothing lasts forever. The same substances that originally stained your teeth can, over time, darken your smile again. We highly recommend, even if you are having In-Office Whitening, that you have impressions taken and trays made so you can touch up, refresh, and enhance your smile as needed.
At-Home Teeth Whitening
A member of our Team takes upper and lower impressions, and we create custom bleaching trays just for you. You simply whiten every evening for about 90 minutes. After three weeks, you will have a dazzling smile. We will teach you the most effective way to use your whitening trays to maximize the results!
Tooth Whitening Pros & Cons
Tooth whitening is one of the most common cosmetic dentistry treatments that Dr. Mogell performs at our Boca Raton dental office. With so many of us looking for ways to achieve a Hollywood smile, we have created a list of pros and cons for the different teeth whitening treatments that are available to you.
In-Office Tooth Whitening
In-Office tooth whitening is most often performed with a tooth whitening gel that is applied to your teeth. After the tooth whitening gel is applied, a high-intensity light is used to activate the gel breaking down stains and discolorations on your teeth.
- Tooth whitening can be completed in a single office visit
- Supervised by an experienced cosmetic dentist
- Results appear naturally white
- The shade of white that can be achieved is generally higher
- Darker stains and discoloration can be whitened
- More expensive than take-home or over-the-counter tooth whitening products
- Immediate results may be more noticeable than gradual tooth whitening
Take-Home Tooth Whitening
Much like over-the-counter tooth whitening products, take-home tooth whitening is performed with trays filled with tooth whitening gel. The gel is worn at home for up to two hours a day over the course of about two weeks.
- Teeth are whitened in the comfort of home
- Trays are custom designed for your teeth
- Tooth whitening gel is professional strength
- Tooth whitening is supervised by an experienced cosmetic dentist
- Results are achieved gradually
- Less expensive than in-office tooth whitening
- Must visit the dentist office during the tooth whitening treatment to examine teeth and gums for irritation or damage
- Trays are usually worn all night
- Teeth may experience increased sensitivity as a result of prolonged exposure to tooth whitening gel
- Results vary depending on how long trays are worn and the extent of the staining or discoloration of teeth
Over-The-Counter Tooth Whitening
Over-the-counter tooth whitening kits can be purchased at almost any grocery store. Generally, over-the-counter tooth whitening treatments consist of strips or trays to apply lower-intensity tooth whitening gel.
- Relatively inexpensive, costing less than both take-home and in-office tooth whitening
- Can be performed in the comfort of your own home
- Teeth can be "touched-up" as results fade
- Teeth can appear unnaturally white
- Tooth whitening is performed without the supervision of an experienced cosmetic dentist
- Tooth whitening trays may not fit correctly
- Tooth whitening can take up to a month
- May not achieve the shade of white desired
The best way to determine which tooth whitening procedure is right for you is to schedule an initial teeth whitening consultation with Dr. Mogell. During your initial consultation, he will listen to the goals you would like to achieve, and help determine what tooth whitening option is best for you.